Why yakfish?

Interested in joining our forum? Read this first please.

Moderators: Tin-Yetti, MattYoga, shufoy, yakyakker, Graeme

Why yakfish?

Postby Tin-Yetti » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:08 pm

A little ramble I wrote when I first got into yakfishing, thought I'd share.

So it has finally happened!

After several years of dreaming and wishing I have finally taken the plunge, aided by a lot of people’s generosity, and bought a fishing kayak for my 30th birthday.

Now those of you who are already yak fishers need not read this, though you may enjoy identifying with it, as I am going to explain a little of why I wanted a kayak so much.

You see, for the same money as my 13 feet of person powered rotomoulded plastic, I could have got a small dinghy complete with outboard and possibly even a trailer. It would be able to handle rougher conditions, be just as easy to take out on my own and I would probably stay drier than I will in calm conditions in the yak. I could go on listing the reasons to have a boat over a kayak, but I won’t, suffice to say there are a few, but still I chose the kayak.

You see a kayak is ultimately a stealth vehicle. It can be next to silent on the water, allowing you to approach fish holding structure much closer than a boat can without spooking the fish. I don’t have enough boat experience to compare, but there are an awful lot of kayak guys getting impressive fish in shallow water and either boaties aren’t, or they are not sharing.

A kayak doesn’t cost you in fuel, or registration. You get exercise while fishing.

All of these are definitely contributing factors, but I think the true appeal for me is something less corporeal. It’s something special being that close to the water. Whether fishing or not, the world takes on a different feel when I’m out there. I remember a similar feeling while surfing/bodyboarding but not quite the same. Then you add the thrill of fishing in to it and it becomes something really special. It’s more hand to hand, close combat style. Remember that all but the smallest fish will move the kayak if you let them and in some cases, you can’t stop them from moving it! You literally have to do everything to win the battle. Not only are you on the end of the rod, you also have to control the kayak with respect to the fish, the waves, structure, prioritising each as you go.

Finally, the slow pace of a kayak, even paddling flat out, is just right to see what there is to see. From noticing stuff on the banks that you might have blown straight past in a boat, to having dolphins within arms reach, all manner of aquatic creatures are quite happy for you to pass them by at close quarters.

That’s enough of me waxing lyrical. If you don’t get it, try it. If you have tried it, you probably understand.

Cheers
Joel
"Providence" Blue Revo 13
Tailor 52cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm, Queenfish 1m+, Pinkie 72cm
Tin-Yetti
Site Admin

Re: Why yakfish?

Postby Graeme » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Where's that LIKE button? :D
IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Found it ....

:D
IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

Graeme
Site Admin

Postby yakfishoholic » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:00 am

Yep, like here too.
Nice read Joel, some of the reasons I took it up as well.
Just bought my 2nd Revo for the good lady to join me on the water. the peace and quiet as well until the jet skis and stink boats annoy you. :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/yakfishoholic
2013 Revo 13 "Tallulah"

Regards Dunc
yakfishoholic

Postby keenyakfisho » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:50 am

Ive always felt safer on a kayak in shit weather than i did in a tinny
Red adventure island
PB'S Bream - 35 cm Tailor - 47 cm Dhuie - 66 cm snapper - 94 cm Skippy - 40cm baldie - 58cm sambo - about 1 mtr
Lets go fishin!!! 0433065883
keenyakfisho

Postby WDS » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:51 am

Like.

I also reckon my kayak is more comfortable than a motor boat. Kinda goes through the waves and chop instead of bouncing all over the place like a tinny. The trade off? You get wet.

Yakfishing for me is closer to the action as well. You are actually in it, not on it.

Anyway welcome to the whirlpool.
WE GLADLY FEAST ON THOSE WHO WOULD SUBDUE US

Ocean Kayak Sprinter (training kayak)
Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro (work/fishing kayak)
Hobie Adventure Island (expedition/fishing kayak)
WDS

Postby Tin-Yetti » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:10 am

WDS wrote:Like.

Yakfishing for me is closer to the action as well. You are actually in it, not on it.

YES! More elegantly put. I like that.

Joel
"Providence" Blue Revo 13
Tailor 52cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm, Queenfish 1m+, Pinkie 72cm
Tin-Yetti
Site Admin

Postby Brendon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Nicely put mate .
AS others have said I like the connection with the environment and peace of kayak fishing .

It's also a great way to fish with mates as you can be both social and solitary on the same trip and you can fish the way you want to fish .I am sure there must be times on boats where you know there is a better place or way to fish but you are having to compromise . I know this was the case at times when I used to rock hop .

I love the Kayak anglers way of "hunting" fish rather than sitting passively anchored up and berleying up attracting all sorts of rubbish fish .

As well as being an effective way of fishing its also a good physical challenge .You feel every fish caught is earned .

The type of people who are attracted to Yakfishing are just great people to be around and the trips away are epic .
2015 Hobie PA12 ,Hobie Revolution 13,
Check out my photos on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/ use #yakfishwest
Kayak PB
Spanish mackerel 153cm
Snapper 89 cm
Dhu fish 65 cm
John Dory 57cm
West Australian Salmon 80cm plus
Black bream 39cm 1.12kg
Brendon
Site Admin

Postby grunter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Yak fishing is a loop-hole . An exciting and possibly dangerous short -cut to great fishing and open water freedom . Sitting right ON the surface . In reach of the fish . As he can reach you . Not over the gunnel , but over your legs . You pull him in and he drags you out . The odds are even . You have the leverage. But it's His Home ! . . . I Just love the options available.
grunter

Return to Potential New Member's Information